Wednesday, January 7, 2015

These are a few of my favorite things.

Today I'm linking up with the Teaching Trio in their new linky party about your favorite things. It'll be every first Wednesday of each month.. so definitely keep a lookout! This month's topic: Favorite Classroom Management Tools.


1. I can't express enough how much I love the Guided Language Acquisition Design (GLAD) strategies. I used to create my classroom rules with my students, but the consistent reminder as to what every rule meant and how it should look and sound like was becoming exhausting. There were so many rules to keep track of! The GLAD strategies have 3 Personal Standards: Show respect. Make good decisions. Solve problems. We've discussed what it looks and sounds like. Every decision a child makes must be reflective of the 3 Personal Standards. On top of that, our school has a Character Word of the Month. Using the T-Chart for Social Skills, we discuss what the Character Word of the Month means, what it looks like, and what it sounds like. The team with the most amount of points at the end of the quarter will get to redeem a prize based on my Team Points Reward Chart.

2. ClassDojo was a schoolwide implementation for the 2013-2014 school year. Upper elementary students redeem Dojo points for Eagle points. Students are able to redeem Eagle points at the school Eagle store!

3. In my class, I got tired of the hand clapping patterns to get attention reallyyy fast. My hands started to hurt! So in my class, we have 3 ways to get our attention. We have the quiet signal (another GLAD strategy called Zero Noise Signal) and attention grabbers. My attention grabbers are catchy phrases that we use daily, and I switch it up to test them ;) I say, "Holy moly!" They say, "Guacamole!" Or sometimes I'll say, "Chika Chika!" They say, "Boom Boom!" When I let my "Teaching Assistants" assist class, they love choosing their attention grabbers.

Those are my favorite classroom management tools! Link up with the Teaching Trio to share your favorite tools :)

1 comment:

  1. I use Class Dojo in my classroom too. It is very motivating for students to see their score going up and down. Plus, the customized options makes it clear to parents why they earned a point or lost a point. Thanks for sharing!!

    Cassie
    Funky in Fourth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...